Pages

Football: Everton bounce back with 5-1 rout of Burnley

Football: Everton bounce back with 5-1 rout of Burnley

BURNLEY, England (REUTERS) - Everton ended their five-game winless run in emphatic fashion by drubbing relegation-threatened Burnley 5-1 at Turf Moor on Wednesday (Dec 26) as they bounced back from their humiliation against Tottenham Hotspur in real style.
Everton, thrashed 6-2 at home by Spurs on Sunday, were 3-0 up inside 22 minutes against a poor Burnley side who face a long battle against relegation.
French left-back Lucas Digne scored twice for the Merseysiders who showed no signs of any lasting damage from their heavy loss.
"After Sunday we needed to prove that we can win and play very well. It was an important win for club and the fans," said former Barcelona wing-back Digne.
"We needed to start very well and after 30 minutes we were 3-0 up and it was fantastic. We feel good".
It took less than two minutes to grab the lead when the unmarked Yerry Mina headed in a cross from the left by Brazilian winger Bernard.
A curling Digne free kick beat Burnley keeper Joe Hart to double the lead in the 13th minute and nine minutes later Everton were 3-0 up.
Burnley defender Ben Mee handled the ball, rising for a header in a crowded penalty area, and referee Michael Oliver awarded a spot-kick which Gylfi Sigurdsson confidently converted.
Sean Dyche's side pulled a goal back eight minutes before the break when a James Tarkowski header was pushed off the line by Jordan Pickford and Ben Gibson hooked the ball home.
Burnley had a great chance to narrow the gap further after the break but Tarkowski missed the target from close-range.
Burnley's labour towards an attempted comeback came to nothing after Digne made it 4-1 with a low drive from outside the box in the 71st minute.
Brazilian Richarlison, rested with a start on the bench, completed the rout in stoppage time, collecting a fine through pass from Sigurdsson before slipping the ball home.
Everton manager Marco Silva praised his players and the club's supporters for the way they reacted to the defeat to Spurs.
"The fans welcomed our players before the match, which is fantastic after a tough result on Sunday and the players as well, they deserve this," said the Portuguese manager.
"I think the best solution to the last result was to play as quickly as you can, luckily for us we played after three days.
"They showed they are here to fight, to compete and to show the ambition we have as a club" he said.
Burnley boss Dyche said his team had been clearly second best.
"They started much brighter, much sharper with more energy. They were the better side and deserved to win," he said.
The result leaves Burnley inside the relegation zone in 18th place - above only Huddersfield and Fulham.
"The margins are super fine; the challenge this season is we haven't kept the margins tight. There's a number of reasons why, but there's no excuse. We are where we are and we don't overly deserve to be better than where we are," said Dyche.



Madrid, Nov 10 (IANS) Real Madrid's interim coach, Santiago Solari, on Saturday praised Welsh forward Gareth Bale while calling for patience with Spanish midfielder Isco Alarcon, who has yet to
Solari remains defiant as Real go out | ClubCall.com



Chelsea are fourth in the standings, three points behind Tottenham Hotspur, a point above Arsenal and three above United. (Reuters) Chelsea cannot afford to lose at Manchester United on Sunday in what will be a 'difficult match' for both teams looking to finish in the Premier League's top four, the London club's manager Maurizio Sarri said on Friday.
Maurizio Sarri Says Chelsea 'Are Going the Right Way' After



Football: Leaders Liverpool stumble, Chelsea collapse. LONDON (REUTERS) - Premier League leaders Liverpool failed to fully capitalise on Manchester City's defeat the previous night as they were held 1-1 at home by Leicester City on Wednesday (Jan 30) while below them the top-four fight took another twist.
Leaders Liverpool stumble, Chelsea collapse - Reuters



Iker Casillas Suffers Heart Attack Scare But Says He Is 'Feeling Strong' Real Madrid legend Iker Casillas suffered "acute" heart attack during training at Porto but later tweeted about his well being from the hospital.
Porto keeper Iker Casillas says he is 'feeling strong' after



Newport manager believes shock City victory possible LONDON • Newport County manager Michael Flynn believes his side can conjure up the biggest shock in the history of the FA Cup when they host Premier League champions Manchester City in the fifth round today.
Newport vs Man City: Manager Michael Flynn claims victory



Son Heung-min (right) played for Tottenham on Sunday before flying to the UAE on Monday Son Heung-min said he did not expect to play for so much of South Korea's Asian Cup win over China in Abu
AFC Asian Cup 2019: Son Heung-Min Helps South Korea Beat



Holders U.S. shrug off weight of World Cup expectations FILE PHOTO: Julie Foudy of the USA (C) holds up the Women's World Cup trophy after the USA beat China in the World Cup final on penalty kicks.
Shrugs at JCPenney® | 25-40% off Cardigans
AD



Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi says he will miss the rest of the season after suffering a ruptured Achilles in Monday's 2-2 draw against Burnley. Hudson-Odoi limped off helped by two members of Chelsea's medical staff after sustaining the injury in the first half of the Premier League clash at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea's Hudson-Odoi says he will miss rest of season



Real, the only top-three side in La Liga to win this weekend, moved on to 42 points, two behind second-placed Atletico Madrid, who lost 1-0 at Real Betis, and eight adrift of Barca who drew 2-2 at



Neymar heads to Qatar for medical assessment. Neymar will travel to Qatar to undergo a "complete assessment" six weeks into his recovery from a fractured right foot, the club said on Thursday.
Neymar heads to Qatar for medical assessment - sports.yahoo.com



Spurs lost 1-0 to Manchester City three days after Sissoko picked up a groin injury in the second leg of their stunning Champions League quarter-final victory over Pep Guardiola's men and
Landon Fox Hired to Lead Valpo Football Program



Neymar heads to Aspetar for medical assessment 2.6.0.0 Paris Saint-Germain F.C and Brazilian football player Neymar Jr has arrived at Aspetar, the orthopaedic and sports medicine hospital in Qatar, to undertake a complete assessment after six weeks into an injury sustained to his foot.
Neymar heads to Qatar for medical assessment - France - RFI
en.rfi.fr/wire/20190307-neymar-heads-qatar-medical-assessment
Neymar heads to Qatar for medical assessment. Neymar will travel to Qatar to undergo a "complete assessment" six weeks into his recovery from a fractured right foot, the club said on Thursday
Neymar heads to Qatar for medical assessment - france24.com

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen